Saturday, July 7, 2012

Creating an Antique Window Chalkboard

Supplies
Our blogs here at Twisted Sisters' Designs are usally about
our jewerly or events and shows we are participating in but this one is about an idea I had to add fun to our studio/gallery area.

Creating an Antique Window Chalkboard

Several  years ago my cousin gave me the old windows from her home in the Midwest.  My husband looked at me like I was crazy but I knew someday I would find something wonderful to do with them.  While I have used them in many different ways in our studio/gallery, this chalkboard is my favorite.  I did some research on using chalkboard paint, but didn't think about the fact that I was applying it to glass instead of a wall.  After some frustration and finding out what didn't work, I finally had success.  I would like to share my trials and errors so that you can create one of these cool chalkboards too.  The supplies needed are:  chalkboard paint, painter's tape, a sponge brush and fine grit sandpaper.

Cool Tip!
Now you are probably saying to yourself....what is the rubber band for?  Check out this cool tip I recently learned.  Yahoo!  No more messy edges on your paint can!  Before
beginning to paint the window, the glass must be rough.
This is the one thing I did not think about.  If the paint is
applied on the glass without creating a rough surface, it will not stick.  Use fine grit sandpaper over the
entire piece of glass.  This will create just enough texture
that the paint will grab on to the glass.  Make sure you wash
the window thoroughly before you begin to paint.  You
don't want any glass grit in your paint. 





Next you will want to tape off the wood with blue
painter's tape.  Believe me, this will save you from
frustration too.  Now you are ready to begin
applying the paint.





First Coat of Paint
The first coat looks really thin but don't
worry about that.  You don't want to go
over the paint while it is still wet as the
sponge brush will tend to pick up the
wet paint and drag it along the glass
causing a gooey mess.  Let the first
thin coat dry completely.  Depending on
where you live and the amount of humidity
in the air, this can take from 20 minutes to
2 hours. 




The second coat begins to fill in the sparse areas of the glass.
At some point you will want to run your sponge brush crosswise.
Alternating the brush strokes with each application would be
ideal.  Make sure the paint drys completely between applications.
Several times I let it dry overnight.  With each application the
paint becomes more dense.  The can says to apply 4 coats of
paint but I found that wasn't nearly enough for the glass.  I
ended up applying 7 coats before I thought is was completely
dense.



When you have applied your final coat  and you are saying,
 "this looks like a real chalkboard," then the paint needs
to be conditioned before you actually start to draw on it.  This
step is done with a piece of chalk and a felt chalkboard eraser.
Lay the chalk on its side and go back and forth and up and
down across the paint.  Then erase all of this with the felt eraser
and you are ready to write, draw and have fun!












                  How Cool is This!













Author:  Debra
"There are other ways to accomplish the same look.  This blog
is just my experience with applying chalkboard paint to glass."








No comments:

Post a Comment